Are you starting to stress as the holidays approach? Worried that all the parties, gift giving and traveling will leave you frazzled and your belly bloated? Here are ten tips from your favorite fitness coach to relieve stress from Christmas to the New Year.
- Eat a healthy snack before you head out to holiday parties so you won’t overeat and stress about all the extra calories you have ingested.
- Keep to your exercise schedule as much as possible. Regular exercise will work off built up stress. It also releases those feel good chemicals (endorphins) that will help you feel calm. When you are pressed for time due to shopping and social engagements, take a brisk walk or do a quick ten minute workout like Ten Minute Trainer When traveling, plan ahead. Find out if your hotel has a fitness room. Take along lightweight resistance bands and a workout plan on an index card that you can do anywhere.
- Get some alone time each day. Even 15 minutes can make a huge difference in your outlook when your are experiencing the holidays at the speed of light!
- Pack some healthy snacks in your purse before heading out to shop. It will cut down on becoming so hungry that you wolf down twice your normal amount of calories at the restaurant. It can also keep food costs down. Paying big bucks for meals while shopping can stress you out too!
- Help someone else. Volunteer at a local agency this holiday. Focusing on someone else who needs your help will take the spotlight off you, and your stress will lower. Helping others will make you feel good too.
- Can’t get to the gym? Use a workout dvd or a workout on a cable channel such as Fit TV.
- Use smaller plates at parties. You will eat less. Feel free to try my trick and only take what you can carry on a napkin. Believe me it is definitely less than you can pile on a plate!
- Get family and friends to help start some active holiday traditions with you. Go ice skating or cross country skiing. Take a long walk around the neighborhood to look at the holiday lights. With a little creativity, you can come up with something everyone will want to do for years to come.
- Try some calming exercise like yoga or tai chi. These will make you feel renewed in body mind and spirit.
- Make sure you get plenty of sleep. Try to keep your normal sleeping and waking schedule as much as possible. Little ones get cranky around the holidays when they miss naps and stay up too late and us adults are no different.
Remember: If you are stressed and frazzled, you can’t enjoy the people you love the most during the holidays and they can’t enjoy your company as much either. Share some of your favorite holiday stress relief tips in the comment section. I would love to hear from you!
Additional links for holiday stress relief: