I have been blogging lately about the importance of diet for women dealing with menopause. It’s amazing how the right foods in the right combinations can help with all the annoying symptoms of lower estrogen levels. Here’s a great recipe I have been making for a few years. I tweaked an e-diets low fat recipe to come up with Pineapple Salsa Pork.
Why it’s menopause friendly:
Lean protein to build muscle
Complex carbs (brown rice) to keep insulin levels more even
Smaller amounts of spices than the original recipe to keep the hot flash monster at bay
Antioxidents in the pineapple and salsa
If you are a fixer, this recipe equals
3 RED, 1/2 GREEN, 1 PURPLE, 1/2 YELLOW, 2 tsp
This recipe is written for two people. You can adjust it as needed.
You will need:
8 oz lean pork (I use boneless pork chops)
1/4 tsp chile powder
1/4 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp black pepper
6 Tbsp salsa
1/2 cup pineapple chunks
1 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 tsp oregano
2 tsp olive oil
1 cup uncooked brown rice
(cook rice according to package directions and keep warm)
1. Cut the pork into bite size pieces
2. Mix the chile powder, cumin, paprika, and black pepper together, then coat the pork evenly
3. Add olive oil to a pan and cook the pork over medium high heat until no longer pink. Drain if needed.
4. Add the salsa and pineapple with juice, bring to a boil and cook 1 to 2 minutes
5. Add the cilantro and oregano and cook for 1 to 2 more minutes
6. Add cooked rice to pork and pineapple. Stir to mix and serve.
I served this with a salad to add some more fresh veggies to the meal. Enjoy! If you try it, let me know how you like it!