I have had several people ask me about the workout I am currently doing called ChaLean Extreme, so I thought I would do a quick review of it here. Chalene Johnson has put an extreme weightlifting program together that fits in with my busy lifestyle. I did two rounds of P90X and got into really good shape. Then I got bored which always happens to me and I know it’s time to do something else. If I don’t, I will quit working out (not good). Here’s what I like about ChaLean Extreme:
- This is a weightlifting program that encourages you to “go heavy or go home”. Usually women don’t get that message. They are told to do light weights and lots of reps. You CAN go heavy. You don’t have lots of testoterone running around in your system, so you won’t bulk up, but you will look and feel great!
- It takes you there in steps. Burn circuit gets you started. Push circuit helps you increase your weight and Lean circuit works upper and lower body together to get your metabolism burning at optimum levels.
- It doesn’t ignore the glutes, inner thighs and outer thighs (ab and adductors).
- It includes cardio and flexibiltiy with “Burn Intervals” “Burn it Off” and “Recharge” It also includes two ab workouts. I still like “Ab/Core Plus” from P90X+ so I switch it up in the abs department.
- You get an intense workout in a reasonable amount of time. The longest workout is 52 minutes. All the rest run 30 to 40 minutes.
- The program comes with a nutrition plan and a cookbook with some tasty recipes in it.
- I love Chalene’s energy and positive attitude. She reminds me of my spitfire college roomate, Karen. I think they would get along famously.
- I lost 1/4 inch from waist, 1/2 inch from hips and 1 1/2 inches from thighs during the first 90 days and that was after completing P90X and losing inches during that program.
If you are finding yourself getting a little doughy and flabby or if you are sensing that your metabolism is coming to a screeching halt, check this program out. You won’t be sorry 🙂
Are you one of those people who skips breakfast? Do you tell yourself it will help you lose weight? Do you tell yourself you just don’t have time? Well, stop it already! You are doing the nutritional equivalent of shooting yourself in the foot.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I’m sure you have heard that before, but maybe you just aren’t listening. Your body has had no food (and no nutrients) all night. You need to “break your fast” in the morning. If you don’t, you are running on an empty tank. Your blood sugar will be low, your brain won’t function properly and you will be mentally sluggish.
Now here comes midmorning and you are starving! You will eat anything to cut the growling in your belly and you usually do. That donut someone left in the staffroom, those Famous Amos Cookies in the vending machine or that high calorie breakfast burrito you ordered when someone ran around the corner to get coffee. Now you have filled up on empty sugar and simple carbohydrate calories. This fills your belly, but these are nutrient poor foods. Your body is still hungry because you didn’t feed it the fuel it needs. You only gave it empty calories. Gain you spell WEIGHT GAIN??
Here’s a better idea. Eat a breakfast that includes complex carbs and protein. This will give your body what it needs to power you through the morning. You won’t be starving by 10 a.m. If you are a little hungry, try some high protein light snacks like nuts or cheese to get you through until lunch. You will now have the energy and mental clarity to work productively through your day.
Short on time? Prepare a nutritious breakfast a night ahead. Have the whole wheat toast and the peanut butter laid out on the counter. Hard boil an egg you can eat with your whole grain cereal and skim milk. That’s not going to add big blocks of time to your morning and think of the nutrition and health benefits. If you want something quick and easy to fix that has lots of nutrients you need for you crazy day, check out Shakeology. I drink this stuff every day and it only costs about $4.00 per meal.
Do you want to be able to do your favorite physical activities without tiring out right after you start? Do you want to be leaner? (more muscle/less fat) Do you want better posture? Do you want to have less chance of injury? Sure you do! Muscular strength is defined as the amount of force a muscle can produce in a single effort. You can improve muscular strength by getting involved in strength training exercises. Ladies: Strength training will not turn you into a giant walking muscle. It will replace those flabby places you don’t like with more muscle mass. Guys: Strength training will bring you quick and very visual results that I’m sure you will like.
You can strength train by using free weights (dumbbells and barbells), weight machines (check out your local gym), or your own body weight (crunches, push-ups, pull-ups, leg raises etc.) You can also use a combination of these in your training routine.
When you start a fitness program it’s so so important to work on muscular strength as well as cardiorespiratory endurance. Two of my favorite fitness programs that incorporate strength training into an overall fitness program are Beachbody’s P90X and ChaLean Extreme. These programs include cardio, strength training, muscular endurance and flexibility with a progressive plan to improve your fitness level. What are some strength training programs you think are effective?