So I’m still nursing this heel spur and I continue to modify my workouts. If you are dealing with a foot injury, maybe you can benefit from my workout modifications. The doc says I can still lift weights as long as I’m not putting heavy pressure on the foot. Here’s what I came up with:
Since I am not doing any squats or or lunges with weights, I have added some cardio on the bike on my weight days.
- Two minute bike warm-up followed by a four minute bike tabata
- Total body weight workout, eliminating any squatting or lunging movements. If I could do the weight move and eliminate the squat or lunge. (Example: kneeling shoulder press instead of a shoulder press with a lunge) I did it.
- Second two minute bike tabata, followed by a bike cool-down and a ten minute stretch.
I have been nursing a heel spur since last Spring. I tried three weeks of anti-inflammatory meds, special exercises and ice but I was still in some pain. So yesterday, I had to get a cortisone shot. I am a huge shot baby! When the doctor said I had to go on light duty exercises for two weeks, there was no way I was going to ignore that. I don’t want to even think about a second shot. Yikes! Doctor’s orders were simple. Only biking for cardio and no heavy weight bearing exercise that would involve my feet. Ok, I can do that and still get a decent workout. Here’s what I did today:
- Warm Up-two minutes at light pace on the stationary bike, followed by stretching
- Workout- 20 minutes of riding at a moderate pace, then a quick break followed by a bike Tabata (four minutes)
- 10 Minutes of Extreme Abs from ChaLean Extreme
This was a good cardio/ab workout and it put no stress on my heel at all. Definitely going to avoid another shot in the foot. If you have had to modify your workouts because of foot or heel problems, give me some of your ideas (especially for weightlifing). I know I will get bored quickly if I don’t have some variety.