When you are on vacation, sometimes your fitness plans go out the window.
Saturday we travelled from our home in Central PA Sunset Beto the shores of the Carolina Coast. We spend a relaxing family vacation in Sunset Beach, North Carolina. Sometimes it’s hard to continue your fitness routine when your regular routine is non-existant. Here’s some ways I try to stay focused on fitness while I am on vacation. With a little pre-planning you can too.
- Pack your own nutritious snacks rather than stopping at convenience stores and loading up on junk.
- When you take rest breaks, make sure they include a walk around the rest stop and some stretching before you pile back into your car.
At your destination:
- Plan some fitness activities for your family. Hikes, kyaking, swimming, walking on the beach and bike rides all count as exercise and will burn some of those extra colories you consume while vacationing. Have you tried a new fitness activity with the family lately? This is the perfect opportunity to try a climbing wall, whitewater rafting or some other fun yet active outing.
- Plan workouts you can do on the go. That means something you can do that doesn’t require a gym or heavy equipment. My hubby and I put together some workouts we can do in the parking area under our beach house. All we need is some space, a stopwatch and some resistance bands. I am planning to make some of those workouts available here on this website for you to use.
- Eat as nutritiously as possible. Buy local produce, whole grains and lean meats to eat at your destination. When you eat out, remember that there are some very tasty yet nutritious dishes on most restaurant menus. I brought my Shakeology along on my vacation to have for lunch. That way I won’t miss out on the nutrients I need to keep me going strong all vacation long!